I finally got around to painting Simone from Nier Automata. It was much easier than I thought it would be, although it did take me about two days and change. Could have finished it yesterday but decided to take a break and start fresh today. All that was left to paint were the accessories corpses which were easy to do with a couple of steps but since the amount of them is 5 and a section of a sixth one, it did eat up a bit of time.
All the painting was done using Corel Painter although I did do a silhouette painting of Simone with Photoshop so that I wouldn’t have to worry about getting out of the lines. This really does increase the speed at which I can just paint and add details without worry of having to erase later. Although that method does also take a bit of time. Using the bucket tool would speed up the silhouette process a good bit but some of my linework has open areas. Though I guess I could make a copy of the linework layer and close them off using a digital brush. I’ll try that out on my next piece.
When I did finish painting, I used PhotohShop to play around with the values and saturation. First I decided to remove the line work from the curtains. Then playing around with the Layer Blending mode I moved the layer containing my line art from multiply to screen and it brightened the whole painting up in a very vibrant way. I really love the way the colors jump out. I should probably experiment more with the other Layer Blending modes.
Since I first saw the teasers of Nier Automata back when I had yet to play the game, I had seen a segment of Simone. The song was beautiful and the way it fought looked amazing. And when I actually got to play it, I knew that I had to draw her at some point. It’s a shame it took me this long to actually draw her. I was thinking of inking it, but I still don’t know what I will do later with it so I will leave in as line art.
I’ve been playing with this idea for quite a while now when I played both Nier games and learned about the drift mechanic. It has also been a while since I have done a traditional piece so finally decided to give it a try. I first drew the boars since that would be the hardest (since I haven’t drawn one before. Once I saw a couple of videos of the boars from each game though it went smoothly. One major mistake was the size of Nier and 2B in terms of the boars (the boars are much bigger). but I decided to go ahead anyway. I knew for sure I wanted to draw Emil, Kaine, 9S and A2 but decided to add Grimoire Weiss and the Pods when I noticed the spaces on the sides. Grimoire Weiss had a lot of details and took quite a bit of effort.
When I had the line art finished, I contemplated what I would do regarding the inking process. I eventually decided on inking, and hatching certain parts and then adding screentone for the shading process. I have Clip Studio but haven’t really used it so I was a bit weary of it, but after playing around with it I got the hang of it. I absolutely love the screentone options. When I was satisfied with the screentones I was finally able to place draw in the sound effects. It wouldn’t be Initial D without it.
I’ve recently have been trying to make some time to rest and relax whenever I can, and I have been finally started playing Nier Automata again. While I was doing 9S’s run, there was that comment of having 2B getting a t-shirt sometime in the future. I really like the idea of doing a painting about it. I first started painting the background. It had so many different parts that it took a couple of days. Once I was satisfied I finally started painting 2B. It did take me a while to come up with a skin tone that I felt would fit, then the shirt… but once I got to the face it was quite easy. The hair I made a lot of changes but wasn’t too hard. The tshirt design was a bit tough to come up with. I was tempted to make a shirt with a number of features but then it wouldn’t be a tshirt anymore. So I tried to just come up with a logo. After looking at her uniform I then played around with her design features and made it into a shirt. Comin up with the mall directory was a bit of fun. When I was playing with multiply, I liked the way it looked with darker and more vibrant colors so made two versions. I also played with the blur filter for the directory.
This will be the first painting with my emblem and a signature. I saw a painting of mine get reposted recently but they don’t even give credit which sucks.
I believe this was started in September 4th and finished on September 23rd? I could push it forward but I feel I should probably keep practicing more instead of getting stuck on one piece. Man… digital painting is still a bit complicated. I’m practicing with colors but I still need to learn more about color theory.
I’ve been wanting to do a 2B piece for a while now, but I wanted to play the game first before I did so. The game was pretty good but I only completed the first part, need to complete the rest of the game when I have time. Man I really love her design. Back when they teased the game I didn’t know what it was about or any information about it, but I knew I wanted it.
I don’t know if it was this video (I don’t think it is), but it did have this image which is what got me intrigued:
Here is the painting, I’ve been practicing getting colors by only using my eye and not sampling the colors from any reference:
I wanted to create an interesting pose, but I don’t know if I succeeded. I wondered if adding a background would make the colors I used work better… But that will be for another time.
These are the references used:
Here is the process:
Hasta la proxima,
SEARCH FOR POSTS OR DRAWINGS HERE
After making arrangements with me about our transaction, you can pay for your artwork here. Or if you like, you can even make a donation.