We are actually still getting snow where I live, so that inspired me to finally give this painting a try before the weather finally changes to a warmer one. I really love the colors of Airi in this cold weather and wanted to give it a try for a while now. It’s also been a while since I did a realistic painting so I opted to go for that. There are so many more photos I want to try painting so we’ll see when I get another chance.
This painting is based on Airi’s digital photobook vol. 92. I only used the real tapered wet flat brush for the whole piece. I like the brush but it can be hard to use because when I try to use the same paint color, I can’t quite get it back using the eyedrop tool since each bristle stroke is different and mixes together. I already have a number of paintings lined up where I kept trying out this brush and a new one that I believe is my new main brush, to be used with the oily bristle and tapered oils brush.
I recently saw an artist that worked with light colors and used that as an aesthetic advantage. Usually when I paint, almost every time it looks really light so I worried whether it would look well to others or not. So this time I have decided to just paint like usual and try to not overwork the painting too much. What I did want to try though is a version where I just painted and let the colors separate the whole piece as a whole. In the second version I added some lighting to the hair, darkened the lips and added some linework. Personally I prefer the original version more although I do like the the linework version as well. I went for a semi realistic/anime style. This mainly entails that one keeps the detail on the face as flat as possible and making the eyes bigger. Of course one can play with the style and how far to push the details which will give different effects. I chose to add a good number of facial details but using very light tonal changes that are noticeable but that are not very abrupt and still keep the coloring style a bit flat. As for the eyes I decided to keep the main shape and colors intact but made them bigger and enlarged the eyelashes a bit.
This study was done using a photo from Momoko Tsugunaga’s last photobook. Happy Birthday Momochi, thank you for everything you have done. Even now your work still makes everyone happy. And this of course includes me. Now that more media is becoming available to us overseas fans and that I can understand a bit more Japanese, I have so much media that I can now enjoy for the first time. It’s a shame my skills were not good enough back when you were still active. Although I love that not only did you have a goal in life (as a teacher), but you accomplished it on top of all your idol activities. The motivation you emanate is absolutely stunning. I truly hope that you are doing well and enjoying life. I can only hope that my art reaches you and makes you even just a fraction of the happiness you have given me.
This is a study using an old ad from Sanyo. The ink drawing was first drawn for inktober 2020 day 04. For this piece I wanted to try out a super simple painting with no shadows or lighting, but as I kept working on it, I decided to just go ahead and try adding more details just to compare and contrast. To add a bit more of color to the simple painting style, I decided to use color burn for the line art which worked really well with the static and colors used on Gina since it reacted in very interesting ways. I wanted to go for a more pop art look so I went with more saturated and vibrant colors which really makes it pop.
When I first saw the reference ad used I thought it was Phoebe Cates, but as I was working I noticed that there was a name on the ad in the left bottom corner that spelled out Gina Nana. When I searched that up, no much came up about it except 2 or 3 other ads with the same model. When I searched up her name using Katakana more photos and ads came up. So yes, this model is actually a different person by the name of Gina Nana. It seems she was a model for Sanyo for a while during their cassette electronic campaign. The reference I used was from 1985.