I wanted to go for a more vibrant look. I noticed that my latest paintings looked quite washed out. My monitor settings seems to have been giving me a false sense of values and colors… I just reset all the monitors so hopefully that will help me out in the coming pieces.
Its sad, but although I worked quite a bit on the background it isn’t visible at all. I think I will reuse it for something else so that it doesn’t go to waste.
It’s been a while since I last played Smash, I grew up with the original 64 version so that’s what I have in mind whenever I think about it. When Terry was announced for the series I wanted to finally give the new ones a try but I rarely play games anymore. But yesterday when I arrived from one of my jobs, my brother excitedly asked if I knew who the next and final Smash character was. I jokingly said Sora since I have always been told by my friends and other brother that it would never happen due to the licenses needed. But I always foolishly believed. I finally got to see the trailer this morning and… it was amazing. I felt goosebumps and it actually brought some tears out. The attention to detail and effort to showcase Sora was amazing. I also loved the tagline, “Sora is finally here!”. I’m so glad there was a huge push by Kingdom Hearts fans to get the attention needed so that this was made possible. Now with Sora and Terry in the game, it might finally be time for me to get a Switch. Plus, it seems the new Switch version will be released soon. Although, I have yet to played Kingdom Hearts III. I should really get on that as well.
Sora and Mario really make an amazing duo. That handshake was so iconic and was a nice homage to when Sora and Mickey did it. To fit with Sora’s personality, I wanted to make a fun and happy piece.
I finally got around to painting Simone from Nier Automata. It was much easier than I thought it would be, although it did take me about two days and change. Could have finished it yesterday but decided to take a break and start fresh today. All that was left to paint were the accessories corpses which were easy to do with a couple of steps but since the amount of them is 5 and a section of a sixth one, it did eat up a bit of time.
All the painting was done using Corel Painter although I did do a silhouette painting of Simone with Photoshop so that I wouldn’t have to worry about getting out of the lines. This really does increase the speed at which I can just paint and add details without worry of having to erase later. Although that method does also take a bit of time. Using the bucket tool would speed up the silhouette process a good bit but some of my linework has open areas. Though I guess I could make a copy of the linework layer and close them off using a digital brush. I’ll try that out on my next piece.
When I did finish painting, I used PhotohShop to play around with the values and saturation. First I decided to remove the line work from the curtains. Then playing around with the Layer Blending mode I moved the layer containing my line art from multiply to screen and it brightened the whole painting up in a very vibrant way. I really love the way the colors jump out. I should probably experiment more with the other Layer Blending modes.