Just to change it up a bit let’s draw a guy this time, and let’s try a new angle (as advised by my younger brother). For this drawing I decided try out a new technique I saw a couple of years ago. This I believe is what they call foreshortening. It worked amazingly well so that I could draw out Luffy’s arm and finger pointing at us. When I finished drawing I then shaded the drawing by using ink and brush. Now Luffy is ready to move forward and become the king of the pirates.
I think I mentioned this before but I have been quite busy lately with my other job and building my desk PC which took me 4 weeks to complete. Had I had a bit more time to work on it I think I could have completed it in two weeks but such is life. Now I have more workspace since I added about 6 inches on the contour of the desk (minus the front side) so that I could clamp my three monitors thus giving me all of my original (about) 4 x 3 feet to use with all of my supplies that I would use as I work. I actually just made the finishing touches yesterday so I wasn’t really even able to use the desk till today. So far I’m really happy with the way it is all set up and because I made the outside contours on the sides so that I could clamp down my monitors I can now fully see all of the screen on both sides as I work on my XP-Pen which I of course left on the center. I’ll show some pics of it and the setup at some other time.
Way back in, whoa, May 28th (it’s been that long after all huh) I uploaded my painting celebrating Buono! To my surprise on June 8th I actually got a like from Natsuyaki Miyabi! Man it feels nice to know that the person you decided to make a painting of has seen your work. But to also get their approval of it is quite nice. I’m really glad my feelings of appreciation for her work has reached her.
Here is the painting just in case you missed it. And here is a link to the original post.
While I was getting some supplies for my desk PC I stopped by a nearby dollar store and came across some small vials with cork caps. I got a set of two of the 6 packs so that I could store some pre mixed inks and watercolors that I could use when working with linework/outlines. For today I made a set of ink that got lighter and lighter for when I want to use different levels of black to gray inks. I have my diluted ink that is still quite dark in my original container and a set of 5 vials containing the newly created ink. I also made a reference sheet to show me the intesity of the ink within each vial and a date of when they were created just in case one of them runs out and I have to create a new batch which of course might not be the same as the previous one. Since it was running a bit late when I was completely done getting my worspace ready I decided to make a quick drawing. Since it was all about testing the desk I of course decided to go traditional (plus I also got to try out my inks, although I only used my base ink for this drawing). I’ll try to see if I could make a quick drawing every weekday for the rest of the summer on top of whatever new paintings I decide to work on. I already have an idea of the first piece I will be working on (hopefully starting tomorrow).
Here is that Goku drawing I did. Maybe I should have made some lines to express movement but overall I’m quite pleased with the results (was a bit scared that I wouldn’t be able to draw as I liked since I hadn’t done it in about 4 weeks).
I drew another ink drawing. I was looking through Sergey Orlov aka punksy‘s artwork and wanted to do another 80s style drawing. I want to paint it with a simple color scheme. But that will be later. I used both the g pen and the maru pen. I really love the thin lines I get from maru pens. The only reason I hadn’t used them for so long was because the ink didn’t flow out of the pen. But after thinning out the ink with water that solved the problem and man am I glad for that. One thing I wanted to try out was this set of Chinese watercolors, but to my surprise it didn’t contain black. After mixing blue, green and yellow I got an okay looking grey but instead I decided to water down the black ink. I quite like the way it worked out and will experiment with it more next time.
Shin Gojira. I wasn’t too sure about the design and the movie itself when I started seeing the first images. And when I saw the film for the first time I was feeling contradicting thoughts since it was such a different take from the Godzilla we all knew up to that point. But after seeing it a second time I really loved it. And I kept liking it even more the more times that I saw it. I really loved that scene where we first saw it make his first atomic breath. The way it transitioned from smoke, then to fire and then to his condensed atomic breath was truly a sight and moment that really touched me. With that in mind, I chose that scene for the scorched prompt.
I’m actually I was able to do exactly what I wanted in this piece. I used the brush tip cover large areas and was able to control the values and textures. I made the fire with rough and irregular lines yet it somehow managed to still look good…
Here is the reference used:
And here is the process.
Hasta la proxima,
SEARCH FOR POSTS OR DRAWINGS HERE
After making arrangements with me about our transaction, you can pay for your artwork here. Or if you like, you can even make a donation.