Because I was imagining this as a scene from a movie, I played around with some additional layers of film grain from a 70s movie. Of course I had to change the dimensions of the canvas so I expanded it, and added more background. I feel it gives it a nice touch.
I wasn’t too happy with the first version of my painting of Marin Kitagawa, it just didn’t pop. I wanted Marin to glow because of the sunlight coming from the window. Aside from that, I also added a couple of more details around the whole painting.
References used for these drawings were screenshots from the movie “My Lucky Stars”. A movie by Sammo Hung with co actor Jackie Chan as part of a trilogy. The actress depicted is Michiko Nishiwaki who plays a rather memerable role for the finally of the movie.
This line art was originally drawn for inktober 2021 day 25. It can be seen here:
There were a couple of things I wanted to fix first before paint it. Mainly it had to do with Misaka’s feet and posture. Misaka just looked awkward so I redrew her legs. Next I moved to her arms to give her a more interesting pose. I also wanted to have her tilting her head in a different way to give her a more confident posture. Aside from Misaka, I also made a few tweaks to Misaki and Mitsuko.
The original line art was done for Inktober 2021 day 14.
With the idea of paying homage to the final scene where Jackie Chan defeats the Eagle clans master, I chose to make the background have that Chinese mountains look. For the Naoko painting I did last time I went for a flat painting style. This time I went for for my current painting style. I started with Tao Pai Pai and then painted Goku. Tao Pai Pai was actually quite simple, Goku’s hair though I had to think about. How could I keep his iconic hair style but also make it not so flat. That’s why I started playing around with crazy hair strands going every which way. I quite like what I ended up with. For the line art, I had an idea that I had in mind for a while. Usually I was selecting the white areas around the line art sot that I could isolate them from the background. But selecting the line art only and making a separate layer and filling it with the paint bucket tool. From there the line art is now isolated and I can modify it any way that I want. This has made the process much simpler. On top of that I started changing the color of the line art so that it’s not just black which I think gives the painting more versatility.