I finally got the chance to paint the Yane line art. I decided to go for a cool spring setting and color. Somehow, the leaves without a more solid form looked weird so ended up making some line work for some of the leaves as well.
This is the colored version of the line art I made for Don Ramon, a character of “El Chavo del 8”. Kind of looks like a Mexican version of Xehanort. I like the way the digital painting meshed with the ink hatching.
I just noticed, but this drawing was done almost a year ago. And it has been painted for almost a couple of weeks now. But I kept pushing it back. Maybe I should upload every day instead of only on weekdays. But I do plan on making videos on things beside the speed paints as well, so I’ll see how my schedule ends up looking before I make a decision.
I went for a flat colring style this time. Hmm… Metal Bat looks a bit like Dracula…
The base colors were painted using Photoshop so that I could separate each color segments so that I can add to them separately in a different layer. This time I used a different brush using Corel Painter. The brush in question is the real tapered wet flat brush. It has the blending abililties of the the oily brush that I tend to use, but it I can also control the brush size depending on the pressure applied. One other aspect of the brush is the bristle effects it leaves behind as I paint. This can come in real handy when I want to make textures. In this case, it was quite handy on the chalkboard. I was contemplating making the text in Japanese, but I really don’t know the correct way to phrase it. My brother suggested writing it in German but I really don’t think she would waste her time writing in German since she knows nobody would understand her. In the end I just decided to keep it in English. Although since I left the text and chalk drawing in a separate layer, I could always add any text or drawing in the future. I used the pastel brush from Photoshop for the writing/drawings by the way. The line art was complimented with some color ones using the digital brush.
To speed up the process of coming up with the colors for the lighter areas and the shadows I used the divide option for the light layer and the multiply option for the shadows layer.
Posing and setting was inspired by Reina Tanaka’s Asuka cosplay done back in Hello Channel.
I had no actual plan when I started working on this piece. I just started putting things together until I ended up with this. After I added the “Rage” Kanji, I felt it was a bit too empty. I figured I would add words that led to anger. While searching online I came upon the anger iceberg. Humiliation, pain, fear, frustration, and rejection. I don’t think Retsuko suffered too much from rejection, so I focused on the other triggers that lead to anger which she has experienced during the show. The spiral was done using the distort function in Photoshop (by having one half in black and the other in white). This was done using Photoshop, Clip Studio and Corel Painter.
I used the pastel brush for the background which gave it quite a bit of texture while still being rather loose. Airi was painted in flat colors using Photoshop before moving over to Corel Painter for the other color layers. I remembered that I had left the logo sections free which prompted me to add Suu-san and an A for Airi. For some reason it takes me longer to paint solid sections more than doing it freestyle using Corel Painter’s Oily Brush. Thinking about it now, it might be easier if I just rework the line art digitally and use the bucket tool like animators do. Aesthetically though, if the drawing itself isn’t good, I guess it won’t work either way. I also wonder if having solid black lines might be too much for this type of paintings. I’ll have to keep experimenting. I really want to do more studies of Airi, there are a couple of photos that I have had in mind.