My entry to the DeviantArt contest. Tried to include all my current art styles into this piece, both traditional and digital. Background is fully digital, painted with Corel Painter. The astrological clock, character and ink jar backpack, g pen and brush were done using Photoshop. The pixel maid was done using Pro Motion NG and then enlarged using Photoshop. The skeleton was drawn using my g pen and the tiger was painted using ink. The text was drawn using Photoshop. I painted my current workspace which I used as the background, but most of it was covered up by the front layers and also cut off. Apparently if Scorpio is in the Moon Sun position, it indicates that they are “creative, intense and mysterious”. Which I thought would fit in well with the theme. Luckily I read the instructions again so I redid the VHS distortion by hand which does the trick quite well and has some cool painted effects from the I believe it was the pastel brush.
The character himself was actually the element that took me the longest to paint since I was just coming up with each section as I went along. Life can be hard and it can chain us down, both in terms of time, physical methods and psychologically. But art is a way that can help us break those restraints and let our emotions and creativity take shape, letting us create anything that’s inside our minds or that of others.
With that in mind, I wanted to create a painting where I could use my art tools to bring my creations to life and help free me from my limitations and problems. The tools would change in size depending on the application and would revert to their original size when I needed to put them away. The ink jar I felt would be carried as a backpack.
The reason the skeleton and the tiger are splattering ink is because they have been newly painted/drawn so they are not fully dry yet.
I actually drew the underdrawing of Sakuya on May 10, 2012 with color pencils (video can be found here). The style is based on Banpai Akira’s style used for the Koumajou Densetsu: Scarlet Symphony game. I like the way I drew it at the time but wanted to repaint it when I had better skills. I also wanted to add a background.
It was about 7 years in the making but I finally gave it a shot. I used a reference picture of a mansion as the underpainting base. The photo only showed a section of the room so I had to learn and make up the rest of the room based on the information I could see. It took a lot of time to finish the background but I did learn a lot. By the time I had painted Sakuya and the background I was mentally drained and wanted to take a break and move on to another piece. I noticed I made her arms and hands quite long and the hair too big/long? But I decided to come back to it at a later date. I’ve been swamped with the end of the semester schoolwork and I’m pretty much almost done now, so I wanted to upload some more artwork.
This is the background used (awesome, seems I can post internet photos from pinterest here now):
I was about to just upload it as it was but decided to edit the defects today. I shortened her hair and changed the dimensions of her hand and arm. I also worked with the lighting on her body to try and have her fit more to the background.
In episode 8 of To Aru Majutsu No Index III everyone was left hanging with the scene of Kanzaki Kaori wearing her Fallen Angel cosplay for Touma as a thanks for helping the Amakusa followers. So I figured I would draw her after finishing up the Kojiro painting. When I was done with the Fallen Angel painting I went ahead and watched episode 9 of To Aru today and much to my surprise they did show a bit more of Kanzaki with her cosplay (a lot more…) (#ﾟﾛﾟ#)
Hmmm… I made her outfit much less revealing but figured it would only take a couple of edits to change it to fit more closely to the one shown in the anime, though looking at it closely I’m amazed by how much of her cleavage is exposed (to the point it doesn’t make sense)! Σ(ﾟДﾟ;)
So with that I decided to make two versions. This was done using a G Pen and then colored using Photoshop.
More exposed version based on the anime:
The image that made me make two versions:
Here is the process:
I am contemplating make another version that has more details to see how much I can push it but still have it look good. Personally I really like the way this version came out. I’ll keep practicing these simpler color versions. I need to be as versatile as possible to be a good artist all around.