Here is the Colored version of my Airi Rescue illustration. I’m uploading two versions. The second version has some static added to it to replicate the quality of a magazine print. One things I like in old anime are the glow effects they do with beams, so I wanted to incorporate that in this illustration. Adding some outer glow to the beam and adding some noise to the glow gave it a cool effect.
I want to convert this drawing to an anime frame at some point. You know, like those mid point frames when the anime had to go to commercials.
I actually had a version of this drawing ready to go, but I’m glad I never uploaded it. Since I had a chance to rest on it and reflect on what I could do with it, I ended up adding some new ideas to it which I think look better. Before it was a bit flat but now it now looks like a title page at the beginning of a chapter. The beam saber looked a bit bland too, so I added some outer glow to it and also some grain so that it blended roughly with the background. Clip Studio has some cool stuff to draw manga, but it also lacks in others which is why I like combining it with Photoshop. The only bad thing about that is that the screen tone layers get screwed up and I can’t edit them again. There are ways to just make a quick new layer to edit if necessary, but that’s a real pain if I have to do multiple.
I wanted to download a stars brush to do them quickly but I ended up just painting them by hand. It wasn’t as bad as I thought. I like that rough look to them that the real g pen from Clip Studio gives it. The font it self I ripped from the music video.
Here’s the music video by the way. It’s a really fun one, I love it:
It’s been a while since I last worked and uploaded one of the three drawings (inked) of Michiko Nishiwaki from the movie My Lucky Stars. Once I learned how inking works, I can just jump in and draw without much thought. Even more so doing it digitally since I can undo any sections that I don’t think quite work. It’s actually quite therapeutic.
I’ve had these inked and hatched Momochi drawings waiting for over a month, it is now time to finally upload them. Working with the line art, I also wanted the line art and inking to compliment each other. Somehow, less facial features works better. Once the details get too close to realism, certain facial features have to be drawn in a more realistic way otherwise it can make the face look off. I think playing with the line thicknesses can either help or hurt as well. I’ll have to experiment more to find out what works at certain times and what doesn’t.
Luckily there’s plenty of Momochi drawings I want to draw so I can practice more.
Playin around with screen tones and stacking them gives some cool effects. Hatching gives even more variety but I didn’t do it in this drawing. For the newspaper I was going to just give it some texture with screen tones but decided to use the newspapers from the promotional video and edited to make it fit this drawing. In the original line art, I didn’t have the tuxedo men but it felt off without them.
For the Momochi Pose line art I decided to ink it and hatch it.
Yesterday I went to Meow Wolf. Inside was an art display by Future Fantasy Delight. The black and white art really popped and looked amazing. It was obvious that the artist had a lot of inspiration of anime/manga and Mexican culture (such as with the Mijo Miho character). I really need to make more black and white drawings.
There were a couple of areas that I did have to edit digitally and other areas that I had to clean up. Cheap Paper is cool to practice with, but I should seriously stop using it with my dip pens. The sharp tips lift up a lot of of the paper fibers. The areas that I inked were done using a brush. One thing I don’t like when I scan my artwork is that the light from the scanner exaggerates the dimples/texture in the paper. To the point where it creates blank spots. This happens as well with watercolors. I wonder if this is why some artists prefer to photograph instead of scan.