I finally got the chance to paint the Yane line art. I decided to go for a cool spring setting and color. Somehow, the leaves without a more solid form looked weird so ended up making some line work for some of the leaves as well.
I had finished a prior version yesterday but decided to give it another look over this morning. I then started playing with the lighting and the background colors. Eventually I started adding textures which eventually reminded me of using Clip Studios burst functions to compliment the ink ones I had drawn beforehand. I then used the hardmix blending mode for my texture layer which gave it some interesting lighting effects that made the the shooting duel pop out that much more.
This is based on a drawing I did way back in (at least from a quick search) 2016. At the time I was completely new to digital painting or using colors really. I was more into drawing and was really struggling with color. I seriously thought I could bypass that issue by focusing on the values using my pencil and then hoping that Photoshop would deal with the colors on it’s own. Of course, nothing is ever that easy.
I can proudly say I have made some progress in the last 4 years.
I used the line art as a quick map of how I wanted to set up the painting, but overall the line art would be left out. Once I had some reference photos of how castles and the sky could look like I began painting. I started with the castle first and that took me a while since I kept working with the way I believed the shadows would look in my scenario. But I made the mistake of not painting the sky so I could figure out what colors I would eventually end up using. With a bit more experience I should be able to figure this out in a couple of minutes but setting up the lighting for the background took me a couple of hours. Once I was satisfied with what I had, I then began working on Lelouch. But since the colors for the background were dealt with, getting his colors was much easier. Dealing with him did have to be finished today though. I want to be fast enough to paint something like this in at least one day, but for now it is taking about two days. For this painting I decided to use the spray paint for the sun’s lighting and in some sections of the clouds and the castle. I seriously should use it more since it made the effect I wanted much easier.
My brother has recently started watching Code Geass for the first time, so when I asked him for a suggestion of course Code Geass would be the option. I figured that would be a good excuse to retry doing this painting.
Was having a bit of hard time coming up with something to paint or draw today, but I eventually did get an idea of what I could work on. But I will showcase that next week. For now here is the background. First time working on a wet reflective surface. Really want to learn how to do them in all mediums.
Just a practice piece so that I can play around more with screentones, hatching and whatnot using Clip studio Paint and Photoshop. The background is of a cool area in Downtown Denver. I made it into a screen tone using Photoshop’s filter, sketch, halftone option. I inked and then hatched it using Clip Studio. Characters are from an idea of a story I want to work on.
Yesterday night I learned about the Clip Studio contest, with the theme “The Best Smile”. I only had a couple of hours to work on it today since I had some obligations I had to take care of so I didn’t really have any real plans and just started painting. Although not required I decided to use Clip Studio Paint and was amazed at how good it felt to use their oil paint option. I think I may actually like it more than Corel Painter since the oil paint size is controlled by the pen pressure. I’ll have to play around with it more.