Bowsette looking down V2

2023 version:

2019 version:

…. I’ve been kneecapped by my line art…

Because of my painting style using my ink line art doesn’t work well together. And because I was trying to work around it, I kept getting the hues and values wrong. Well, that and brute forcing my growth by trying to paint as fast as possible. Color theory is tough. Unless I want to paint in flat colors, keeping my line art was doing me a disservice.

Today’s painting is of Bowsette, originally painted back in 2019. This time I wanted to draw Bowsette’s whole body. I remember skipping her feet because it would have been a bit tougher, so painting them this time would showcase a growth in my skills. Having only Bowsette looked a bit lonely though, so I added Mario in this Re:do. But that also felt a bit lonely so I debated on whether to add some of that fire I had in my original painting. Depending on how much fire I added though I would be covering up some of my background so I was a bit apprehensive. Adding it was the right move though.

It’s annoying because now that I have done a couple of more paintings I see more things I can change and do differently. Maybe some other time.

Hasta la proxima,


Blood stained gift for her future

This is based on a drawing I did way back in (at least from a quick search) 2016. At the time I was completely new to digital painting or using colors really. I was more into drawing and was really struggling with color. I seriously thought I could bypass that issue by focusing on the values using my pencil and then hoping that Photoshop would deal with the colors on it’s own. Of course, nothing is ever that easy.

You can see my past attempt here:

I can proudly say I have made some progress in the last 4 years.

I used the line art as a quick map of how I wanted to set up the painting, but overall the line art would be left out. Once I had some reference photos of how castles and the sky could look like I began painting. I started with the castle first and that took me a while since I kept working with the way I believed the shadows would look in my scenario. But I made the mistake of not painting the sky so I could figure out what colors I would eventually end up using. With a bit more experience I should be able to figure this out in a couple of minutes but setting up the lighting for the background took me a couple of hours. Once I was satisfied with what I had, I then began working on Lelouch. But since the colors for the background were dealt with, getting his colors was much easier. Dealing with him did have to be finished today though. I want to be fast enough to paint something like this in at least one day, but for now it is taking about two days. For this painting I decided to use the spray paint for the sun’s lighting and in some sections of the clouds and the castle. I seriously should use it more since it made the effect I wanted much easier.

My brother has recently started watching Code Geass for the first time, so when I asked him for a suggestion of course Code Geass would be the option. I figured that would be a good excuse to retry doing this painting.

Hasta la proxima,


Bowsette Looking Down

Originally drawn on May 9, 2019 and painted on August 16, 2019.

Back when Bowsette was introduced to the world I gave it a shot too (it can be seen here). I wasn’t happy with how it turned out so I wanted to give it another shot. I first drew it with my dip pen and started painting it with Photoshop. Well, at least I painted the fire balls and left it at that for a while. Eventually I started painting using Corel Painter. I was thinking of adding a door or something in between the pillars but liked it without.

Hasta la proxima,