I was wondering why my artwork was looking a bit blocky when I was resizing it to a smaller size so that I could post it online and just now remembered that I didn’t change my settings that I used for creating pixel art. Changing the resample option to automatic and that did the trick. I think I have about one or two weeks worth of artwork that have been resized using the wrong settings… What’s funny is that I already had a resized version up and ready to post, but I’m glad I forgot.
The line art for this painting is quite old now. Its from way back in June. I remember trying to paint it not long after drawing it but didn’t like what I was coming out with. I decided to go with a Copic/watercolor like style. Using Toko Suzuki’s brush is great since it has both texture and opacity control. I really like the amount of detail and control I can get with it. There’s many ways to paint this Momoko drawing but I have couple others that I can try that out with.
This is a painting of Momochi that I have been working on whenever I had some free time during the weekend. This time I used a couple of oil brushes from my collection. I will probably be making another version where I make it a bit more anime like. But first I wanted to go for a more realistic feel. The reference I used was a screenshot from “Off Momochi in Okinawa”. I think this will give me more options in terms of what I can study and paint as well as look closer at poses with movement. I’ve been wanting to also do some animations so this will really help.
Momochi looks freakin adorable as usual.
I have a couple of momochi ink drawings that I haven’t painted yet, I’ll have to think what coloring style I will use for them.
For today’s drawing, I have Momochi in her “Ai no Dangan” outfit riding a motorcycle. There are a lot of options and possibilities when it comes to adding a background. Maybe I should try out different styles when I end up painting it.
This time I wanted to try out different styles. First, now that I had a stronger pc I wanted to try out the watercolor brush that Corel Painter has. Before in my old system, the program would take a long time to process one brushstroke. And this computer just did it like it was nothing. I then moved over to the real watercolors brush and I only had to wait probably about 1/2 a second for my computer to process the realistic watercolor painting. I do have to practice with them a bit more, but I’m amazed at how realistic the way the paints interact with each other and how I can layer the paint, glaze and pretty much anything that can be done with real watercolors. But with the advantage that digital painting has. I painted rather quickly and that shows, but I’m sure it can be polished to a high degree.
For the second painting I tried the oily bristle brush so that I could compare. It looks good, but I should probably spend more time to blend or make the transitions between colors a bit more cleanly.
For the third painting process I went for a more pop manga style. I’ve been following a couple of artists these days, but I was specifically looking at the art of __tree_13 : https://www.instagram.com/p/CH0WQnCnsYn/
The artist does a great job of bringing back that 80s style and I really wanted to have a go at it. For this one I used a combination of Photoshop and Clip Studio for the screen tone. I’m really glad that I can open a .psd file with Clip Studio and Painter.
This drawing was started back in October 27 when I got some new lead that was 2h I believe. Now that I had some time to look at it again, I made some changes and inked it. I really feel that the ink and changes I made, created a much better drawing that looked more like Momoko.
Reference used was from Momoko’s last photobook Momochi.
Next time I want to try out the pencil with watercolors, but I think in this case ink was the way to go. Momochi looks so cute with twintails.
This is a digital painting using the line art from day 7 of Inktober 2020. The theme was fancy that day. When I started painting I just had the idea of keeping it flat and simple. I focused on Momoko first then I spent a good bit of time on the chair. I just started adding colors to see what would come out and when I was done I got the urge to add some stitching to the seat cushions. Getting the right colors was a bit easier when I used the hue ability of Photoshop. When I got the shape and colors at a state I was happy with I added some texture to give that stitching look. I tried a couple of techniques but I feel that making some skipping hatching worked. Keeping it uniform and in the same orientation keeps it looking clean. The background it self I wasn’t too sure about. I then just started adding background elements to make it look like a tea house. The hue used to be more yellowish, but when I was playing with the hues, I arrived at this whiter background. It’s been a while since I last painted so I was a bit worried, but I noticed that I was able to paint with a lot more calmness and ease. Soon I should be able to clear up some more time to use for art. I can’t wait to try more things out.